Any family dentist will tell you that regular dental visits are important. Some people think that good oral care means only brushing the teeth twice every day and flossing once each day. While these are important practices, you should also schedule dental appointments for professional teeth cleaning and checkups. These visits are vital for the…
Learn Why Eating Candy with Traditional Braces in Tysons is a Bad Idea
You’ve had your traditional braces on now for several months, and the initial discomfort has faded. You know eating certain foods is a bit more difficult, but candy doesn’t have to be forbidden fruit, right? Guess again! If you want your straighter smile to appear quicker, you’ll avoid eating candy while wearing your braces in Tysons. Read on to learn why your orthodontist wants you to dodge these delicious food items.
WHY IS CANDY SO BAD FOR BRACES?
It should be a crime for candy to be off-limits when wearing braces, but unfortunately, it’s a necessity. There are plenty of reasons why candy is bad for your teeth, and even why too much candy is bad for your overall health. But when it comes to your braces, it can cause a whole list of problems. Here are just a few:
- Breakage. Chomping down on hard candies causes pressure to build on your teeth. When enough pressure builds, it can cause your brackets or wires, or both, to break.
- Delayed treatment. When breaks occur as a result of candy, or any other reason for that matter, it delays your treatment. That means, your straighter smile is going to have to wait a little while longer until your orthodontist in Tysons can fix the problem.
- Decay. Since candy contains large amounts of sugar, even teeth without braces can become susceptible to tooth decay. Once you add braces, you’ve just now made it harder to maneuver around the brackets and wires, trying to rid your mouth of the bacteria brought on by sugar.
WHAT ARE SOME ALTERNATIVES IF I HAVE A SWEET TOOTH?
If your sweet tooth is too big to ignore, there are alternatives to candy that will satisfy your craving. Instead of suckers and Starbursts, try these:
- Smoothies. Depending on the ingredients, these can be extremely healthy. Make sure to watch the amount of sugar you add, and if possible, try to at least rinse your mouth afterward to wash away any harmful bacteria.
- Ice Cream. Who doesn’t love ice cream? This soft, yummy treat can’t hurt your braces. Its soft consistency applies no pressure to your teeth or hardware.
- Soft Cookies. Whether it’s warm chocolate chip or oatmeal raisin, these delectable treats can be a great alternative when the sweet tooth craving comes calling.
Don’t let traditional braces keep you from enjoying the sweeter things in life, but remember, everything in moderation. Instead of candy, try some of the items listed above. Before you know it, you’ll be braces-free and sporting a straighter smile!
About the Practice
Avanti Dentistry provides patients with a spa-like atmosphere, complete with heated towels and massage chairs in each room. We want you to feel relaxed and comfortable during your visit. Whether you are preparing for a general cleaning, teeth whitening, dental crown placement, or braces fitting, we’re here to make sure you receive the highest quality of service. To learn more, contact us via our website or by calling (703) 763-1301.
by: Dr. Farshad Farhoumand.