Invisalign® makes it easier to achieve a straighter smile. Many people prefer this teeth-straightening system to traditional metal braces. The treatment depends on the clear aligners guiding teeth into the right position. If you want to know more about Invisalign, here are some common questions and their answers.Invisalign is a good treatment for responsible adults…
The Pros and Cons of Invisalign
Invisalign® gives you a discreet way to straighten your teeth without everyone you interact with noticing anything. The same cannot be said about traditional metal braces, which were the standard way to straighten teeth for over a century. Metal braces are impossible to miss, and having all that metal on your teeth ruins their appearance. Fortunately, Invisalign can be used to fix a variety of orthodontic issues, so patients no longer have to deal with having metal brackets and wires covering up their teeth.
Straightening teeth with Invisalign
Invisalign works using the same idea behind braces. These plastic, transparent trays apply a constant force on the patient’s teeth when worn, slowly moving them into a better alignment. The aligner trays being transparent allows the patient to show off their smile as their teeth slowly move to a better position.
Treatment with clear aligners involves getting multiple sets of trays at the start of treatment. These trays work like a track relay team, with each set taking over from the position the last set pushed the patient’s teeth to.
Each set of trays is worn for about two weeks before being switched with another set further down the line. By the time a patient gets through all of their aligner trays, their teeth should be in the targeted position.
Dentists typically use digital images to create a model of a patient’s teeth when crafting their Invisalign trays. Projections of what treatment will look like are displayed on a screen, and the dentist makes adjustments as needed based on their experience and the patient’s desires.
The benefits of straightening teeth with Invisalign include:
- Removable device: Invisalign aligners can be removed to eat or to clean the mouth, which makes treatment more convenient than having to deal with metal braces
- Invisible: Invisalign aligners are virtually invisible when worn, so people the wearer interacts with likely will not notice the appliance
- Increased comfort: Invisalign aligners feel more comfortable in the mouth than the brackets and wires that come with braces
- Faster treatment: Aligner trays exert more precise forces on the patient’s teeth, and that often shortens the length of their treatment
Invisalign aligners are not perfect, and they do have some drawbacks. These include:
- Requires more commitment: People who opt for treatment with clear aligners need to wear their appliance for at least 22 hours daily for the treatment to be effective. Treatment times can be as long as two years, so keeping up with the daily wear of these appliances requires commitment and discipline on the patient’s part
- Not effective for jaw-related issues: Invisalign aligners work well on alignment issues caused by teeth being poorly positioned, but not so much on issues caused by abnormalities in the patient’s jaw. Such issues require treatment with braces
- Trays can be lost: Patients can easily lose a set of aligner trays, but braces are permanently fixed in the mouth
Explore teeth straightening with clear aligners
Invisalign aligners improve the alignment of your teeth without compromising your smile. Give us a call or visit our Tysons clinic to set up an appointment with our dentist.
Check out what others are saying about our dental services on Yelp: Invisalign in Tysons, VA.
Those looking to straighten their teeth discreetly and fast can opt for the Invisalign® system. This teeth straightening treatment employs a set of clear aligner trays to correct teeth alignment and bite. Once the treatment starts, it is necessary to take proper care of the Invisalign trays to keep them in good shape.The following goes…
When considering Invisalign® treatment, one of the main questions patients often ask a general dentist is how long does it take to see the expected results. While everyone hopes the journey of straightening teeth is smooth and easy, the main payoff is reaching the intended goal and achieving a smile that is both beautiful and…
If you have crooked teeth, Invisalign® might be the right treatment to restore your smile. You may not have worn braces as a child or teenager, but that does not mean you cannot do something about your teeth now. Regardless of your age or previous treatment history, now could be the right time to get…