Following your dental implant placement, the success of your treatment is largely up to you. After your surgery, our team will provide you with dental implant post-op instructions in Tysons Corner, Virginia. Call Avanti Dentistry at (703) 952-0663 if you have any questions or to schedule your follow-up visit with our dentists, Dr. Farshad Farhoumand and associates.
To help you recover quickly and avoid complications in your healing process following implant placement, our dentists and team recommend that you follow your post-op care instructions as closely as possible.
- Do not rinse your mouth for the rest of the day after your procedure.
- On the day following your procedure, begin rinsing with warm saltwater every two to three hours. (Use a half-teaspoon of salt per eight ounces of water). Do this for several days. Then rinse after meals and at bedtime for two weeks.
- Use prescribed medications, antibiotics and mouthrinses as directed.
- Use mild pain relievers, such as Tylenol, Advil or ibuprofen to relieve discomfort.
- You may begin brushing your teeth the day after your procedure, but be sure to avoid the surgical site for several days.
- If a temporary crown was placed, do not bite down until given permission to do so.
- Do not wear your denture, partial denture or other oral appliance until given permission to do so.
- You will likely experience some swelling. Apply ice or cold compresses to the side of your face at 15-minute intervals for the first 48 hours. After 48 hours, switch to heat instead, and continue applying heat until the swelling diminishes.
- Keep your lips moist with lip balm or Vaseline to prevent cracking.
- Do not operate machinery for at least 12 hours following your procedure.
- Do not smoke or use tobacco products — they can cause your implants to fail.
- If the cover screw or healing abutment of your implant falls out, call our office so that we can replace it. Bring the loosened component with you to this appointment.
- If you use oral contraceptives and have been prescribed an antibiotic, use an alternate method of birth control until you have completed your course of antibiotics.
If you have questions or concerns about your post-operative care, please contact our office to speak with a member of our team or schedule an appointment with our dentists.